Thursday, November 27, 2008

Report Card Time: Let's Celebrate


It's that glorious time of year when the little ones come home with all the news about how school has been going. That right, it's report card time. Moms and dads get to find out if anything has actually been going on over at that school the kids go to every day.


Now my little girl is only five so of course I was expecting to see things on her report card that looked like "plays well with others" or " good control of fine motor skills." What I ended up seeing almost knocked me over.


My little munchkin had things on her report card that read like " she exhibits excellent comprehension of syntax and regularly forms both simple and complex sentence structure exercises within daily problem solving matrices." I'm sorry, can I get an interpreter please? Does this mean she is qualified to work at the United Nations building?


There were more and more comments written under every subject category. It took us half an hour to get through the report card because every comment section was like an encyclopedia. I can't believe how much these teachers write today. I'm guessing it has something to do with the school board. What was amazing was that after writing these huge progress reports after each and every subject, there was a separate comment area for the teacher to give and overall evaluation. That's right, more comments.


After getting through all the grades and all the comments it would appear as though our kid is brilliant. I know all parents say that about their kids, but based on the feedback she received, over the next year or so our little girl will probably be remodeling the space shuttle. She may have already found a vaccination for the common cold. It is possible that I am reading a little too much into the report. Needless to say, she done real good.


Truth be told, she wasn't even all that interested. She just really enjoys going to school. She is at that age when it is all still a lot of fun and she happens to have an incredible teacher who knows how to make it enjoyable. She really doesn't see it as work yet. I am in no rush for the days when it will be a challenge to get her to do homework and wonder if she will let us see report cards. Hopefully she will always enjoy it.


Now I was just trying to come up with a really good reward for her for doing so well in school. I'm open for suggestions. I was thinking I might really be generous and let her wash my car.

No comments:

Parents blogs
Mommy & Family Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Add to Technorati Favorites